Sunday, July 18, 2010

God can be worshipped in so many ways

Around 1994, my daughter and I were in the Dallas/ Fort Worth Hindu Temple and I took my kids to every place of worship. We were in the midst of the devotional songs in the sanctuary and as usual my little girl would get on her knees and look around as if no one is watching her and then whisper the standard question in my ears, "Dad, what are they saying?" to which I reel off.... God is the Nourisher, sustaine... sweeite they are saying to thank God for the life.

OMG, I want those moments back in my life… how much I loved those tender moments! She could not contain her excitement, right in the middle of the Bhajans, the six year old stands up with her eyes wide open, and in an excited voice blurts out, “Gee Dad, that’s cool, God can be worshipped in so many different ways!” Indeed that sentence has become a part of my teaching in Pluralism. Pluralism is simply respecting the otherness of other and appreciating the god given uniqueness of each one of the seven billion of us. We can learn from children, they are pure, they see the beauty in diversity and cherish everywhich way one worships the divine.

THIS IS A NEW BEGINNING IN RELIGIOUS DISCOURSE

No comments:

Post a Comment